"I FEEL YUCKY-The Candy Colored Nightmare"


Greetings Joannarchists!

I have some very exciting news involving the art series I have been working on every waking second of my life! I have been invited to have a solo show exhibition at the Gitana Rosa Gallery in Williamsburg! The work involves big, bright and often disturbing cartoonish imagery with an eye-melting color palette...almost all the work is confrontational portraiture, with the goal of making the viewer feel slightly uncomfortable, and if I may say so, YUCKY. The fact that I am able to have a solo exhibition (and gratefully so), showcasing all of the work that represents how much black tar is stirred up inside of me on a daily basis, and to have it celebrated and spotlighted is an amazing vindication. It makes me feel like I am doing something right, or at least on the right track. It reiterates how important it is to follow your dreams and passions...and how nothing should take those things away from you. And it also makes me proud of myself and my work, and don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying that. When you’re told countless times a day what’s wrong with your drawing, your composition, your graphic, your colors, your font, etc...you get used to it. There is something getting programmed inside of you to automatically assume that what you’ve done will be wrong in some shape or form. Then you get too many cooks in the kitchen, and it becomes a nightmare... A DAILY nightmare. So for once, it’s not just nice, it’s AMAZING for people to not only like your art, but like it the WAY IT IS, and respect what it is about....what a concept!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment